Monday, September 16, 2013

Tuesday Taco Night at the Torok's 


Since my oldest was in Jr. High / High School I've tried to make Tuesday Night a night that my kids could comfortably (and without having to ask in advance) invite a friend(s) over to study and have dinner.  Tacos are generally a crowd pleaser with most teenagers, and really simple to make.  I usually make enough meat for 8-10 people and it always seems to go even further.  Black beans and rice are quick accompaniments, something that any one of my kids can help put together if I'm late getting home, and...they ALL like it!

We switch it up each week, shredded beef, carnitas, chicken, ground beef....whatever I have in the freezer.

My favorite happens to be carnitas or shredded marinated pork.  I love using my slow cooker for this. Here's a new recipe I'm trying today...Enjoy!
Tequila Carnitas Tacos
Ingredients
  • 3-4 lb pork shoulder
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh minced cilantro
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup tequila
  • 2 4 0z cans chopped green chilies
Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with the garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment